5 Reasons Why a Colon Cleanse is for Everyone
Suffering from a bloated stomach? Feeling tired all of the time? Finding that your toilet habits aren’t as regular or consistent as they used to be? A colon cleanse could be the answer to your problems.
What is the colon?
The colon is also known as the large bowel or large intestine. It is an organ that is part of the digestive system (also called the digestive tract) in the human body. The digestive system is the group of organs that allow us to eat and to use the food we eat to fuel our bodies.
In the small intestine, a special hair-like lining known as villi absorb the liquid parts. Those liquid parts — the nutrients — pass directly into the blood and are taken to all your cells throughout your body. These nutrients feed your cells the food they need.
Any leftover solid parts of the food move into the large intestine. These solid parts of your food are the parts that you have no use for and are passed from your body when you go to the bathroom.
Healthy eating is good for your overall health, but having a low-calorie, high-fiber diet that includes mostly fruits and vegetables is important to a healthy colon. Exercise and healthy habits like avoiding excess alcohol and smoking is also important to good colon health. If your colon isn’t working the way it should, you may experience problems such as bloating, gas, pain, constipation or diarrhea.
What is a colon cleanse?
Colon cleansing, also known as colonic irrigation or colonic hydrotherapy, involves flushing the colon with fluids to remove waste. It’s a practice that’s been around since ancient times, and the benefits are based on the premise that digestive waste can be a toxin to the body.
Colonic cleansing is a safe, alternative method to rid our body of toxins that accumulate as a result of an unhealthy diet, environmental pollution and chemicals and a constant use of antibiotics.
Why should I get a colon cleanse?
Our intestines, which take up the majority of our abdominal space, are a vital part of our health. They absorb the nutrients from food, aid digestion and help pass waste. Over time, un-excreted waste can build up within your system and become a haven for dangerous bacteria and impacted stool. This causes symptoms like cramps, chronic fatigue, headaches, constipation and even allergic reactions. And unfortunately, this is one problem that a green juice and a jog won’t cure.
Let’s break it down into more detail:
- When the colon is irritated by diet, stress, drugs, chemicals, and other ‘toxic’ substances, it tries to protect itself by producing excess mucus.
- This additional mucus can bind with the sludge from refined and processed foods, such as white flour, and build up on the wall of the bowel, narrowing the space through which the faeces pass.
- This layer of gluey, hardened faeces (known as colon / mucoid plaque) can weigh several kilos and makes an attractive home for harmful organisms (e.g. yeast, worms and bacteria!).
Sounds horrible right?! Our poor bodies!
Even if you have regular bowel movements, don’t think that you have escaped this problem! The stools can still pass daily through an encrusted colon and leave behind the accumulated plaque residue on the walls reducing the inner diameter like a water pipe blocked by mineral deposits.
Since the walls of the bowel which normally absorb nutrients from your food, are so encrusted, your absorption rate becomes dramatically reduced. This gives way to poor health such as the following problems:
- Gas Bloating
- Weight Gain
- Mood Swings / Irritability
- PMS, breast & period pain
- Skin Problems
- Body aches & Pains
- Dull Eyes
- Bad Breath
- Gas and bloating
- Sore throat
What results can I expect from colonic hydrotherapy?
The purpose of a colonic is to simply unclog your digestive tract and rebalance your body to a neutral position. Here are 5 major results you can expect to see after undergoing colonic hydrotherapy:
- Skin improvements are greatly noticed with the results of colonic hydrotherapy. With the skin being the largest organ in the body, it can get overwhelmed with all of the waste and toxins building up in the colon which can eventually manifest itself in the form of acne or a dull complexion. By flushing out all of these toxins, there’s less chance of this happening.
- Although not strictly a weight loss treatment, colonic hydrotherapy flushes out a mass of old hardened, faecal matter that can weigh between 2 and 10 kg in the average person. Because of this, people report immediate weight loss after their first treatment, and some people see significant weight loss after a successful course of treatments.
- If you suffer from bloating or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), the treatment has helped to show signs of improvement from symptoms such as constipation and trapped gases.
- Bad breath can sometimes be caused by problems in your bowel, so by removing all of the built-up waste and toxins, this can see a great improvement.
- Colonic hydrotherapy can have great results for people suffering with chronic fatigue and depression. By cleansing the body internally, it has a positive effect on the mind and has proved to alleviate stress and make you feel healthier due to a reduced number of toxins in the body.
It’s important to remember that an upkeep of colon cleansing is necessary to experience long term benefits of the procedure, and adjustments to your lifestyle and eating habits can help to keep your colon in great shape and reduce the risk of developing any bowel related health issues.
How does a Colon Cleanse Work at Shanti-Som
The procedure is simple: a sterile tube is inserted a few inches into the rectum, and warm, purified water slowly enters the colon and flushes out trapped waste and bacteria
At Shanti-Som, a colonic cleanse is included as part of our Detox Retreat. We believe this is a personal process – your Colonic treatments are self-administered. You will be given full instructions before your first treatment by our experienced and friendly team!
Using a gravity fed system, you introduce (via a very small tube inserted into the anus) an organic coffee / water mixture to the colon. You choose how much liquid to enter and when it is released. This in and out flow of water, together with gentle abdominal massage, will assist in removing the plaque layer from your colon. You will be amazed with the effect of this process, which can also relieve some the uncomfortable side effects of detoxing that you may have in the first few days – many of our detoxers feel much better after their daily colonic and by the 3rd or 4th day actually look forward to them!
The colonic process usually takes about 30-40 minutes.
Are there side effects to a colon cleanse?
There are no side effects. It is not uncommon however, for some people to start to feel like they have a cold or a headache after a colonic. Toxins which have been lying dormant in the colon are now being flushed out and a small amount may be re-absorbed into the body’s system. This healing crisis passes quickly and the person will realise a feeling of well-being with further treatments.
As part of our Detox Retreat in Spain, the colonic treatment is an integral and very important part of the detoxifying process, as any toxins that have been held in the body can be released during the fast, often causing discomfort. The colonic cleanse will help sweep toxins out of the body quickly and efficiently. If you are interested to learn more about our Detox Retreat and colonic technique, please contact us.